Friday, July 15, 2011

A Safe Place To Fall


Okay, I have wanted to get to this since my young friend asked the question, “What is my job?” in referring to home keeping.  I believe it would be faster and easier to tell you what your job isn’t, but let’s take a little peek at what this “job” (I prefer “calling”) entails.  Understand that this isn’t comprehensive but just a small sample of something much bigger.

When it comes to home keeping your job is pretty much anything you see that needs to be done.  Anything you are capable of doing that is and not something your husband sees as his responsibility.  Nothing says “I don’t respect you” faster than taking away from someone something they feel responsible for.

Now I could give you a great long list of chores, jobs, work, all the things that keep me busy, but my home and yours are not the same.  My season of life may not be the same season as yours, so it would do no good for me to hand you a list and say, “Here you go now get busy”.    I am a financial planner and manager, a debt counselor, a business manager, a seamstress, a chef, a meal planner and nutritionist.  I have had to be a nurse sometimes in the truest sense of the word.  I am an interior designer, furniture repair and refinisher “expert”.  And I am only getting started here, I could go on, but won’t.

You see, I believe my most important job is to make our home a safe place to fall.  It should be a place to run to, not away from.  It needs to be a place where all the chaos, disorder, and pandemonium of the day can be left behind.  The place where my family finds peace, order, rest, comfort, and…can I say it…joy.

We were having a cookout awhile back with several families over.  All of us were outside and one of the ladies went inside for something (can’t remember what).  After some time had passed she didn’t come back outside.  I had to go inside to fetch some things for our food and I found this lady, my friend, sitting on the sofa looking at one of our books.  She looked at me and said something like this; “Your house is so welcoming and comfortable, it makes me just want to sit down and be at peace.”  Of all the complements I have ever gotten none bring me more pleasure than ones like that.

There is a lot that goes in to making your home this safe, peaceful, and ordered sanctuary.  And yet the tasks become an opportunity of service to your family and eventually to the community around you.  How do I strive to accomplish this great and noble service?  Keep watching and we’ll work on it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment