Monday, July 11, 2011

Do It Because It's Right

My heart is heavy today because of an ongoing problem that I have.  Something I believe most of us deal with at least one time in our lives.  For me it has lately been chronic.  What do you do when someone is angry with you and you can't seem to bring them or your relationship beyond that sticking point?
First it should be stated that most of the time (emphasis on most) we are angry because we have chosen to be.  And I believe it is safe to say that we are usually angry because we aren't getting our way, or things aren't going the way we want them to. I have to remind myself of this often.  And although it is a bit more difficult, you can choose not to be angry.

But what do we do, how are we supposed to respond, when someone is angry with us, not over something we have done wrong, but because of their perception of things, and their lack of desire to resolve the situation?  Especially if this is more than a friend or acquaintance, but is a family member.
Sometimes it feels better to put your
head in a clamp!!

 The first place I go, where hopefully I always go, is to The Word.  What does Scripture say about this?   Well, Romans 12:18 says "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."  That is so easy to do...when they are being peaceable.  But our charge is simply, "so far as it depends on you", nothing there about others or their state of mind.  I think that means that I should be ready to reconcile, forgive, or anything else it takes (without compromising truth, or what is right) to make the relationship work.  The verse before this one says; Romans 12:17  "Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all."  I believe this should keep us from running around telling all who will hear our side of the story hoping, whether we will admit it or not, to get them on our side.

I am truly no expert and fail miserably all too often.  But this I have come to know and understand.  You must do what you know is right and stand there no matter the consequences.  You can try to make people happy, but if that is your only goal you will never achieve it and you will be miserable.  You can simply try to make you happy, but again, you will fail and I promise you will not be happy for long.


There is a peace, a lasting, strong, unmovable, quiet peace that comes when you are about the business of doing the right thing.  You will undoubtedly make someone angry, you may very well be accused of being self-righteous, and there might be relationships that will never be reconciled for you. But you will have the calm assurance, the steadfast knowledge that you have done what is right.

Romans 12:21  "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

1 comment:

  1. Joann, boy did I need this for the week! Thank you for writing truth.
    ~ Debby... who appreciates you so much

    ReplyDelete