Thursday, July 7, 2011

Profound Satisfaction

There is something profoundly satisfying about taking something from its tiniest beginning, watching, caring, fussing over, as it comes along.  Then when the time is just right, bringing it to full completion.  My generation and those behind me have, I fear, lost something very special and wonderful.

I canned quarts of green beans today that I had planted a mere 3 months ago.  As I took the jars out of the caner I realized how rare this experience has become.  To have a hand in every part of this process is actually pretty amazing.  Not to mention that the beans will taste so good this winter and early spring!

So much of what we do, what we eat, what we ware, what keeps us warm, covers our windows, and even keeps our attention, is prepared, made, and controlled by someone else.  But it hasn't always been that way.  In fact it is a recent occurrence when you look at the scope of history.  I wonder, is this good or bad?

I don't quilt (do sew) but know women that do.  Taking that fabric from scraps to a beautiful, warm, lovingly made piece of art is astonishing.  My Great Aunt Ina made me a doll quilt when I was 6 (a long time ago) and I still have and cherish it.  She thought noting of throwing some scrap of material together and making a quilt.  She actually did use scraps from dresses, or shirts, or skirts, that had been made.  Nothing was wasted.

Okay, I'm not ready to give up the convenience of buying whatever it is I might need.  We don't always have the time to manage things from start to finish. And if the very large hail that fell on my garden 3 weeks ago had totally destroyed it, I would be happy to eat "store bought" green beans.  But I am so thankful for the experience and  unexpected satisfaction in growing and caning my own vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment