Friday, July 1, 2011

Discipline As a Choice

Between laundry and canning peaches may I share some more?  Last evening, after seeing my blog a precious young woman I know sent me a personal message.  She has been married for 2 whole years (Hey, in this day and time that constitutes a milestone.)  Her life has taken a change and she needs encouragement and, in a word, advice.  She made a couple of profound statements and asked some interesting questions.  I would like to share a few.

First she stated; "The two biggest struggles I see ahead of me are going to be money and discipline." Okay who hasn't or isn't struggling with that?  The questions she asked concerning being a home keeper were...well you can see for yourself.  "What's my job? Cleaning my house? Cooking? What else? I mean...or is there an 'else' ?  These are all things that confuse me. How do I budget my time? What will my days look like? "

The desire is to just sit here and give answers to all of her questions to the neglect of all else.  That would not be a good thing.  It is also true that it is easier to receive, digest, comprehend, even eat things in small portions.   And I also believe that I do not have all of the answers.  This is a journey for me and for you.  I have been blessed with years of experience, mistakes, trial and error, and hopefully a little wisdom.  My desire is to share what I have been given, glean from what you know, and together we may be able to help one another.

So, for now, concerning discipline; we all struggle with that in one way or another.  Each of us have choices we make everyday that cause us to practice discipline.  It may seem too simplistic, but isn't discipline nothing more than making a choice?  A car is coming toward you as you wait to pull out onto a road, have you not disciplined yourself to wait until the car is past and it is safe?  You get up in the morning (hopefully it is still morning) and have someplace to go, haven't you disciplined yourself to put on "regular" clothes rather than your PJ's?  So when it come to doing what you should do, or are supposed to do, we discipline ourselves, we make the choice, to do what needs to be done or what is right.

What does that look like?  I'll have to save that for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment