Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Kitchen Essentials and Recipe













I had the privilege last week of cooking in my Mom’s kitchen, but I have to admit it is never easy for me to cook in someone else’s kitchen.   Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t that I mind doing the work, that part is fun; it is just hard when the equipment you are used to using isn’t there.  It was said several times last week –by me – while holding one of my Mom’s knives, “You know, there is nothing like a good sharp knife and this is nothing like a good sharp knife”.  Maybe I am just spoiled!

So I thought I would take a few minutes and share with you some of the things I find essential to a well equipped kitchen.  Remember, each of us is different, what works for me may not be the right choice for you, or work as well for you.  I have been cooking for many years and have been able to accumulate things over time not having the expense of great kitchen “stuff” all at once.  Here is my list of “must haves” for the kitchen, or at least a sampling, maybe you can add to my list.

You must have a good set of cookware, you know, pots and pans…okay, skillets, saucepans, and sauté pans.  It is worth the time to research the best ones and the money to invest in really good ones.  Your food will cook better and most of these pieces will last longer than you will.  I invested in a set of excellent All-Clad stainless cookware years ago.  (They were on sale at “Bed Bath and Beyond” and I got to use a 20% off coupon as well.)  They have a lifetime replacement warranty and they will replace them if something goes wrong.  (I’ve only had to do this with one pot).

You also need a fairly good non-stick 12inch skillet.  You will be replacing this one more often because the non-stick does eventually wear off.  So pick a good one at a reasonable price that won’t cause you to cringe when it has to be replaced.   Some things just have to be prepared in a non-stick pan to get proper browning, etc.  Oh, and a nice big stock pot is terrific for so many things, especially soup!

You need a great spatula that feels good in your hand and does its job well.  I believe this is a personal preference that only you can make.  The spatula I really like may be an annoyance to you.  Go to the store, pick them up and try them out…well sort of.    A good set of wooden spoons, tongs, measuring cups and spoons, and a large slotted spoon are a must, these shouldn’t break your budget.

While you are there (at the store) make sure to invest in some great knives.  Again you will want to spend the time in research here.  Find out which the best knives are and what will work well for the cooking you do.  Buy the best knives you can afford.  I have 3 knives that I use all the time; my paring knife, my chef’s knife, and my Sudoku knife.  You can probably get by with just these three to begin with, but if you make your own bread you will need a bread knife, preferable a long one.  A few years ago we invested in a long carving knife (the one Cook’s Illustrated said was the best) and my husband wouldn’t trade anything for it.

Other equipment that I find necessary are a sturdy stand mixer, mine is a KitchenAid.   And I could not, or would not want to function without my food processor; I have a Cuisinart and love it.  A strong blender is good but I find that I use my immersion blender much more often.

Having some bake ware is also important, like loaf pans, cake pans, square pans 8x8 (for brownies), oblong pans 13x9, and muffin pans.  Also cookie sheets have to be in every kitchen and don’t forget parchment paper to cover them for quick and easy cleanup.

It is your kitchen and you are going to be the one doing most of the cooking there.  So do some researching, find out what will meet your needs, and get the best you can afford.  But most of all have fun doing the cooking and baking.  What a pleasure it is to serve your family this way and the easier your cooking is made with good equipment, the more fun you’re going have.

Here is another great recipe that my family enjoys and it is pretty inexpensive to make.  Don’t disregard when you see the words “Meatloaf” because that isn’t our favorite word either.  But give this one a try because it isn’t just meatloaf.








Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Ingredients
 Vegetable cooking spray
 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
 1/4 cup chopped garlic and herb-marinated sun-dried tomatoes
 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
 2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
 2 tablespoons whole milk
 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 1 pound ground turkey, preferably dark meat
Directions
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, if using, eggs, milk, feta, salt, and pepper. Add the turkey and gently stir to combine, being careful not to overwork the meat.
Carefully pack the meat mixture into the prepared pan and bake until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice. Put on a serving platter and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment