Thursday, August 18, 2011

Check Your Lust Factor


It was Sunday afternoon, our lunch guests had gone home, and we’d had a busy morning and early afternoon, so I thought I would turn on the TV and get some down time.  Surely there would be something to watch on one of those many channels we pay too much for.   I was wrong.  But I got stuck on a program called “Extreme Couponing”.  I had seen this show before and can’t for the life of me explain why I watched it again, even for a few minutes.

If you are an “extreme couponer” please don’t be offended, I am sure that I write out of ignorance.  I personally have trouble seeing the difference between the people featured in this particular show and those in the show by the same network called “Hording; Buried Alive”, except they are neater and more organized.  Don’t get me wrong, I am all for having a stock of food in case of emergencies.  My pantry shelves stay pretty full as do my freezers.  But if there is a crisis I am fairly sure 30 sticks of deodorant, 45 tubes of toothpaste, 60 bottles of dish-washing soap, and a myriad of other things like that won’t be what you need.   

Another thing that bothers me (trust me there is more) is that the time these people spend clipping, printing, dumpster diving for, and organizing there coupons in never counted.  Nor is the time spent shopping and in the check-out lines.  Time is worth something.  So when someone has purchased $600 worth of items and they say it only cost them $5 that is somewhat deceptive, because the time they spent beforehand has to be worth something.  At minimum wage, based on the time most of the coupon people stated they spent  getting the coupons and checking out, it has to cost them (in time spent) $200 - $300 a week.  The way my calculator works that isn’t free.

But unless you have been living under a rock, you are painfully aware of the economic situation, not only in our country, but across the globe.  As I am writing this the head line is; “Wall Street Takes Another Dive”.   My family has had to watch our money closely and I am sure yours has too.   I won’t even pretend that I have much of a clue here.  I have friends that do a much better job of budgeting (oh, there is the B word) and could give you much more significant advice in saving money and making the dollars stretch.  But I would like to share with you something that has helped me and my husband stay on track and within our means for a long time now.

Years ago, too many to count, my husband and I were struggling to make ends meet.  We had only one income (truly a blessing) and extras in life usually came at birthdays and Christmas from generous family members.  But there were times when we needed things and times when we just wanted something.  I don’t remember his exact words, but I remember one particular time of decision making my husband saying, “We have to keep our lust factor in check”.  He was meaning that we had to determine if we really needed something, or we just wanted it because either someone else had one (keeping up with the Jones’), or we were just desiring it for the gratification it would bring (short lived though it would be).  This little question, this secret (my word) has kept us from getting ourselves into financial trouble (and other kinds as well) for many years.

1999 Jeep Cherokee
We all need vehicles to drive right?  I had a friend tell me once; “I’m not like you, I can’t just drive any car, I need something nice”.    I really wasn’t offended because I know and love this friend dearly.  My Jeep Cherokee is over 12 years old and paid for.  I still consider it a “nice car” and only wish it got better gas mileage.  Yes, there have been times when I desired a newer car.  One with a navigation system standard, or air conditioned seats (yea they really make those), or any of the other “bells and whistles” cars come with.  But we have kept our lust factor in check and until my Jeep cost more to maintain than it is worth, I’m keeping it!

When it came time to purchase our home, we qualified for a much more expensive house than we bought.  In fact we didn’t even look at homes above a particular price range because I knew that it would be too difficult to keep my lust factor in check.  I have friends that live in beautiful homes that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.  When I go to visit it is hard not to be envious of the splendor that is their home.  When they have a 6 burner gas stove and a double oven it gets really hard for me to keep myself in check (I see my daughter rolling her eyes).  But my electric range works rather nicely and it will do just fine.

I have friends that always dress so nicely, always are put together with just the right touch.  I know that some of them are able to spend a lot of money on their clothes.  That is a weakness for me I must admit.  That is one of the hardest places to keep my lust factor in check.  I have learned to shop at online outlet stores and to buy things off season, but mostly I am learning that it is the inside that matters so much more than the outside.

And what is it about the newest technology that gets our lust factor going?  We buy a computer and it seems in 6 months it is practically obsolete, or we tell ourselves that.  It was just last year that the iPhone 4 came out and I hear they are about to launch the iPhone 5.  Was there anything wrong with the iPhone 4, or the iPhone 3 for that matter?  “But it does things the “OLDER” phone doesn’t do.”  Lust factor check; does it do everything we need it to do?  Do we really NEED the newer version, or is it just a want it?

If we are going to lust after something then let’s lust after contentment and satisfaction.  Let’s be happy with the provision we have and with where we are.  If there is something you and your family are looking to buy, first ask yourselves if you really need it.  If you do need it then try and get the basic necessities, not having to pay for extras you don’t need.  But before you do any of that, check your lust factor and see if you just want it or you really need it.  Talk about your money saver…among other things!  Now my husband and I find ourselves telling each other (and ourselves), “check your lust factor”.

No comments:

Post a Comment